STINGER SOHO ROUTER
BASICS: Router Setup / Startup Procedures
To physically set up the router (using a cable type connection):
- 1. Remove any cables connecting the modem to the computer
- 2. Connect the router to the modem. Use the Ethernet cable and plug it into the WAN port. Each port is labeled.
- 3. Connect the router to the PC: Plug the other end of the Ethernet cable into the networking port on the computer.
- 4. Plug in the router's power adapter and check the Power light to ensure that the router is on.
To set up the router (wirelessly):
- 1.Inspect the bottom of router for identifying which router (ESSID) to connect to.
- 2. Please note the last 3 digits of the MAC #.
The router name will be STINGER###
ie. MAC# 000E0A650525
the router name will be STINGER525
- 3. Use your computer to find the wireless network with that name.
- 4. Type in “password” for the key
I physically connected my router and it’s already working. Am I done?
Technically you can access the internet and use the router immediately. BUT, we recommend you follow a couple more steps to prevent unauthorized access of your wireless network by securing it. Please see SECURE YOUR ROUTER
I’m not using a wireless signal to connect to the router, do I still need to set up the Wi-fi?
Yes! The router is capable of allowing wireless access as soon as it’s powered on.
Router Setup (or download our quickstart guide)
Login to the Router
- 1. Make sure your Ethernet cable from the computer to the router is plugged in correctly
- 2. Open up any browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome) and type in http://192.168.1.1 into the address bar. Press enter.
- 3. A login page should appear. Please enter the information below.
Default username is root
Default password is admin
(Default login information is located on a label under the router)
4. Press Login
Secure your router
Log into your router using the "Login to the Router" instructions above..
- 1. In the main iconic menu. Click the Wi-Fi icon in the BASICS row.
- 2. In the ESSID field (router name), enter the router name you want to use.
- 3. Under Security Options, we suggest leaving it at the default setting of WPA-PSK / WPA2-PSK for the best protection.
- 4. In the KEY field, enter a key to access your wireless network. The default key is “password”. SAI suggests changing this as it is a common password and could easily be guessed by someone who wants to access your network without permission..
- 5. Click the SAVE button to save your changes and give it a few seconds to update and refresh.
Sometimes the menu locks up when I try to save new settings. What do I do?
Normally this shouldn’t happen. If the system locks up or hangs up after saving changes, it doesn’t mean there is something wrong with your router. Normally it’s an error that occurs on the connectivity side of the browser.
Try pushing the F5 button (Refresh hot-key) or Refreshing the page after giving it a couple minutes to make sure the commands went through.
I cannot pick up a wireless signal from my router.
Please inspect the Light on top of router labeled WLAN (Wireless Local Area Network) to make sure it is illuminated. If it is not illuminated, there is a possible that wifi has been disabled in the user GUI. If this is the case.
- 1. First check to see if WiFi is enabled on your computer. Most laptops have an OFF/ON switch for wireless connectivity. If you have verified that it is on and you still cannot see the wireless network, follow the next steps.
- 2. Connect an Ethernet cable from the computer to a LAN port on the router.
- 3. Open a browser and type http://192.168.1.1
- 4. Log into the router (For instructions please refer to the “Log into the router “ section above.
- 5. Click the wifi option and check to see whether it is enabled.
How do I secure my router so that no one could access my network or internet?
Please follow the Secure Your Router setup procedure above.
If I have a wireless printer, can I connect it to the Stinger Router?
You should be able to connect to any router. Each printer has its own specific set of instructions for accomplishing this. Please check with the manufacturer of the printer for more information.
Will all wireless devices work with the Stinger?
Most devices will work with the Stinger as long as they are 802.11 b/g/n compatible.
Gaming / Media / Business Applications
I’m having trouble connecting to my PS3/XBOX/Netflix online. There are a few different possible problems that could be occurring. More than likely, you need to allow some specific ports to enable the device to access the internet at a proper speed/connection. Please check the device’s manual for more information.
Playstation®Network requires the following ports to be open:
TCP: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480, 5223, 8080 and
UDP: 3478, 3479.
Also The port number used voice/video chat is UDP: 3658.
Xbox LIVE requires the following ports to be open:
Port 88 (UDP), Port 3074 (UDP and TCP), Port 53 (UDP and TCP), Port 80 (TCP)
Video Kinect, you might need to open port 1863 (UDP and TCP).
To set this information in the STINGER router.
- 1. Log into the router.
- 2. Click PORT FORWARDING at the bottom right corner of the USER GUI.
- 3. From here you have to know the IP ADDRESS of the PS3.
- 4. To check the IP address of the PS3, you can load up the ps3, go to SETTINGS, scroll down to NETWORK, and NETWORK AND CONNECTION SETTINGS to get your IP NUMBER.
- 5. Type in a name (PS3), Select TCP, and put it one of the port numbers.
- 6. Do this again for the UDP port.
Note: You might have to enter all the ports separately or SAVE, try the PS3, and retry if it doesn’t work on that specific port.
How do I connect my 3G/4G Wireless Dongle?
Cable, DSL Startup:
For most modems (cable, dsl, etc) that are already connected, just plug in the Ethernet cable into the WAN port on the router.
- 1. On connecting a USB dongle, most devices are setup automatically. No additional information is typically required to complete the setup of your compatible 3G/4G dongle.
- 2. If your ISP requires additional information to connect to their network, please refer to their documentation for APN, PIN Code, Username, and Password. All data entry fields may not be required to connect to your ISP’s network.
(common AT&T APN is “wap.cingular” w/o any pin/user needed)
(common T-mobile APN is “wap.voicestream.com”)
Note: If you are still experiencing issues with dongle connectivity, please reboot the router with the dongle connected.
Does my wireless 3G/4G wireless dongle connect automatically?
More than likely it will connect without having to change any settings. Most verizon and Sprint dongles are plug and play. A few of AT&T and T-Mobile dongles require some user input. Please review the “
If I don’t see my card on the list how do I know if it’s supported by your router?
Most devices, especially from well known carriers abide by standards which require them and us to have compatibility between products. There will be occasional firmware updates to improve compatibility issues and overall performance of the router.
General Router Questions
What do I do if I have forgotten my password settings to get into my router?
Why did you do that!? Fortunately, it happens to us all the time so we decided to place an easy to use reset button on the front of the router.
- 1. Press and hold the RESET button for 6 seconds.
- 2. Release the button and give it a few seconds, the WLAN light should turn off..
- 3. Then give it 30 seconds to 1 minute to reboot.
- 4. After it has rebooted, the WLAN light should return and the settings will be set back to default (label under the router).
Default Gateway IP (Router IP): 192.168.1.1
Default Login: root Default password: admin
What is the difference between WAN and LAN? Can I plug my computer into the WAN port?
A WAN port is used for enabling internet or network access to another device such as a cable modem or other router. Think of it as a connection outside of your local area (such as the internet).
A LAN port is used for allowing WAN access to whatever is connected to the LAN (Local Area Network). This could be a computer connected to the router.
The Stinger router does have the option to change the WAN port into another LAN port. This is done through the user GUI (menu screen when you log into the router).
- 1. From the iconic home menu, click Wired Interfaces
- 2. There should be a checkbox you can click next to the option (WAN to LAN).
- 3. Scroll down and save the configuration.
You should be able to use the WAN port as a LAN port.
Note: If you ever want to connect the router to the internet or another router, you need to log back in and change the settings back.
I’m having problems with my internet going down at least once a day. Is this a router issue?
More than likely it is your carrier. Some carrier systems have protocols in place to reset your internet connection. If this is the case, cycle power to your router or reboot it from the User GUI Menu.
If I unplug my router, will all my settings be erased?
No, your settings will not be erased. The only way to erase the settings is to use the reset button or setting the router back to default in the USER GUI.
How do I check the firmware version of my router?
- 1. Go the FLASH FIRMWARE icon in the USER GUI menu.
- 2. Click the CHECK FOR UPDATES button and it will automatically check for available firmware upgrades. The current firmware version is listed at the top right corner of the menu.
User Manual: Click Here
QuickStart Guide: Click Here
Warranty Information: Click Here